Objective of the workshop
The objective of the workshop is to let you discover tools for mental training for trauma prevention and approaches to break the “freeze response”.
What am I going to learn during this workshop ?
During this workshop, you are going to learn :
- Reminder of the Fight, Flight and Freeze reactions
- Explaining the issue of the freeze or tonic immobility and how that happens for some trauma victims or in high stress situations for professionals
- Explaining why the freeze happens and how to overcome it
- The helpful energy of fear
- Situational exercises to see your natural reaction under high stress
- Exercises for developing your power
- Using the Resource Point of Brainspotting
- Safe situations to create a “freeze” situation, and using the method to overcome it
- Introduction to Trauma Treatment with Focu-brain
- Dealing with trauma resulting from tonic immobility or freezing
- Dealing with the fear of being in that situation again and not knowing if you will freeze or be able to manage the situation in a more efficient way for yourself
- Tools for Mental Training and Trauma Prevention used in the Police
This workshop includes theoretical lectures, demonstrations, self-experience and practice in small groups and discussions.
Who is this for? and prerequisites
This workshop is for (psycho-)therapists, trainers, professionals, martial art teachers who are working with clients who have been subject to freezing or tonic immobility and who wishes to discover an approach of mental training, preventing trauma and breaking the freeze response to help their clients.
If you are unsure if you qualify to attend the workshop, please send us an e-mail so that we can have a discussion about it.
The seminar is going to be taught in English. Achim speaks a simple, easy to understand English. We can provide some short clarifications, translations or help with key terms in French or German if needed. Full translation won’t be provided though. Of course, participants are free to do the exercises in the language they wish.
About the teacher
Achim Grube worked for 40 years for the government of the federal state of Lower Saxony in Germany. First as a police officer, then for the last 25 years in the Social Science Service which is responsible for 22.000 police officers. As the head of this institution, he was responsible for the treatment of acute traumatized police officers and for conflict management to reduce violence during demonstrations. He was also involved in teaching mental training and trauma prevention for the police and in the social sector. After his retirement in 2018, he has been working in his own practice and take to his heart to share Focubrain and Perifocubrain that the developed on the field in his work with the police.
Achim is a client centered therapist , Trauma therapist, Focusing Teacher and Focusing Coordinator. He is also a Brainspotting Teacher for Coaches and Brainspotting Supervisor and the developer of FocuBrain and PeriFocuBrain.
Location of the workshop
Liège (BE) : The workshop (is going) to take place in our Dojo des Anges in Liège. Our dojo is located in the botanic garden area of Liege, a beautiful, calm and easily accessible area of Liege. We are also a 12″ minutes walk from the Liège-Guillemins, the main train station in Liège.
Liège (Luik, Lüttich) is centrally located in Europe (30 min. from Aachen or Maastricht and 2h30 from Paris by high speed train). It is well served by public transport, motorways and airports. Liège is located 1h15 from Brussels Airport or Brussels Chalerloi.
Please see our information page on accomodation in Liège to let you choose a suitable venue for you.
Dates and timetable
- Dates : The workshop is planned to take place :
- Sat, the 21st of May, from 09h00 to 12h30 and 13h30 to 17h30 (7,5h) (Liège)
Registration & payment
Early bird registration and payment (registration and payment before or on the 9th of May at the latest) :
- 185 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (company rate, when you register alone)
- 170 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (company rate, when you register with one or more colleague – one invoice per company)
- 170 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (individual person rate, when you register alone)
- 150 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (individual person rate, when you register with another person)
Regular registration and payment :
- 225 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (company rate, when you register alone)
- 205 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (company rate, when you register with one or more colleague – one invoice per company)
- 205 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (individual person rate, when you register alone)
- 170 euro per participant for the 1 day workshop (individual person rate, when you register with another person)
- Prices quoted above are for the workshop tuition only. Due to covid, no drinks, pauses or meals are going to be offered. You are free to take those with you. Space would be made available for you to take your pauses and lunch, inside or outside, also in a private garden.
- For the well-being of all, we ask you that if you have covid(-like) symptoms or if you know you are covid positive, or contact case or if you met somebody who has covid, you agree not to come to the workshop. If you would send us a medical certificate, test result or your self-test result showing that you are covid positive, we would refund you your registration. In case of doubt, please contact us so that we can discuss the issue together and discuss the refund. We want to make sure you can book safely and that all participants are safe as well as participants.